Wednesday, December 26, 2007

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' Error Fix

I installed Windows Xp Professional SP 2 on my PC today, and again encountered the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error. Windows Xp with Sp2 leads to this error, and Microsoft themselves have released a hotfix for resolving this error. But the MS fix does not seem to work most of them time, so i was looking for other ways to resolve this. That is when i found this information, but i had to toil hard to get this fix, as it was hidden behind pages of crappy useless solutions.

I'm putting it up here in the hope that, it'll be useful to someone ..

When you encounter this error - Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.


Here is the solution;

1. Go to Start/Run and enter regedit.exe to open the registry editor.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters.

3. In the right-hand side, double-click on TransportBindName - delete the existing value and give it an empty value. That will close port 445.

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE and change the value of EnableDCOM from Y to the value N - that will close port 135.


Now reboot the computer and the error will be history, i don't really the tech stuff behind this registry edit. But as far as i know this closes certain ports (port 445 and 135 ) which are not used by the PC and thus removes the error.

Cheers.

4 ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

vijay said...

very clever....
lets c if ya getting any traffic..

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for the error fix. I've been trying for weeks to get rid of it and finally it's gone! Glad it was your pet peeve. Once again, thank you!

william said...

A couple days ago I started getting the error "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close." Whether I leave it there, send the problem or just close it, another one would pop up within a minute or two. It wont go away. My computer started running extremely slow, and when I checked my processes I noticed that iexplore.exe is listed from between 20-40 times, as well as almost as many WLLoginProxy.exe. I also have about 15 svchost.exe and just today when I tried to start msn i started getting duplicates of msnmsgr.exe and then msn wouldn't load. I have used spybot as well as trend micro, and they have not found nor fixed the problem, and I don't know what to do next. Any help would be loved muchly ^.^;;
----------------------
williamgeorge
Search Engine Optimization

Betsy said...

This is great info to know.

 
ss_blog_claim=b3f6d4d2a9c12dbdfb4bcda8dba3cdd0 ss_blog_claim=b3f6d4d2a9c12dbdfb4bcda8dba3cdd0