Sunday, December 30, 2007

How To: Prep Your Blog For Sponsored Posting !!

This post is part of the mini series about Sponsored Posts. The first post in this series was just an Introduction to sponsored posting. Now here are few things you need to work on, for prepping your blog for sponsored posting.

There are quite a few Paid Blogging Networks like PayPerPost, ReviewMe, SponsoredReviews, Blogsvertise, Blogitive, Smorty, BloggingAds etc. Each service has its own rules and criteria for membership, but there are a few common factors that will help you with all the paid to blog networks;


1. Blog Design- The paid to blog networks send out manual reviewers to inspect your site (not bots) before approval, so when a reviewer visits your site you need to make sure you have a good home page with a professional looking template. Also you need to take some time off to set up your sidebar, feeds, stat displays etc. to make the blog look complete. The trick is to fill up your blog with enough stuff like widgets, plugins etc and still manage to keep it presentable.


2. Post Count - The networks specify a minimum number of original posts you need to make before your blog can be approved, like PayPerPost requires you to have at least 20 original posts in the last 90 days, or a SponsoredReviews approval requires a minimum of 10 posts. A few networks also have a time factor, ie they might require a blog to be online for at least 3 months before it can be inducted. When you start working on these factors, just don't make junk posts hoping to make the cut quickly, that will actually spoil your chances. So just be more regular with posting, but don't force anything.


3. Create Original Content - If you are planning to increase your post count by posting articles copied from other blogs, you should understand that it is not going to work. The networks insist that the blog content should be original, they'll use services like Copyscape to detect copied content. Copyscape is a service that lets the user compare a particular site's content with the whole web and then displays pages with identical content, so there is no way you can get away with unoriginal content and moreover it is totally unethical to steal someone else's articles.


4. Page Rank - The big daddy of the web - Google assigns a rank to each site on a scale of 0-10, 10 being the best possible rank. The Page Rank is usually used as an index to determine the worthiness of a site or a blog, and generally if you have a higher page rank you can command a higher price for your work. The PR updates usually happen once in three months, the last update was around the last week of October 2007, so you've got all the time till the next update to improve your PR, so buck up .. And when it comes to improving PR, just two words - Get Backlinks !!


5. Alexa, Technorati Rankings - Alexa,Technorati have a huge index of blogs and work as a search engine for blogs, and the rankings you have on these services are also used as a measure of your blog's worthiness. These services aren't just blog indexes, like with Technorati you could vote for your favorite blogs, and similarly you could be favorited by others and the Technorati ranking depends on the number of votes you recieve. About Alexa, the index credits you with points for all traffic to your site on browsers with a Alexa Toolbar installed. The Alexa principle isn't really impartial, cos' readers of tech blogs are more likely to have Alexa Toolbar installed, so tech blogs have a edge in Alexa, but still the Alexa Rankings are considered by many networks. So you should try and work on both Technorati and Alexa rankings. More on this later ..

6. Traffic - Though i've put this last in my list, it is this factor that matters the most, all the other factors like PR, other rankings can be manipulated to an extent, but you can never fake up traffic. A blog's popularity is truly determined by the number of readers, or the number of people it can reach. There are a lot of ways you could do this, the best ( and the easiest ) way is through Social Bookmarking sites like StumbleUpon, Digg, Mixx, Sphinn, Delicious etc. But then the whole traffic factor can be summed up in one phrase - Content Is King !! So if you create quality content, you're assured real good traffic with very little effort.


The title might suggest i'm only discussing ways to prepare for sponsored postings, but even if you don't have any plans for sponsored posts on your blog anytime soon, you could use these suggestions work to improve your blog ( really?)

14 ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

vijay said...

really really really good stuff.....keep going da...iam following ur blog very closely...


Also are you goin to get paid for this post??


n hey,jus scrap in some random scrap buks about the bhutto video for mw da

Emma said...

Hello I would like to thank-you for entering my Words to Know contest. The winner will be chosen after midnight tomorrow. Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

vijay said...

/ / / /
whats this ????

Guru said...

Macha.. That was a small writing contest i entered. So i guess that blog's author is just acknowledging my participation in my recent post. Nothing much ..

vijay said...

I guess she is a " you comment i follow " blogger....may be your getiing links back

Guru said...

Nah .. Actually her blog is way bigger. And she has awesome content too, so i guess she really doesn't require linkbacks from PR0 blogs like mine.

TechPavan said...

That's a very good post, keep going.. all the best. Looking at your blog articles, I found that, your interest is not concentrated in a single field, but varies in lots of fields. Anyhow, you are providing good content on your blog. Bye...

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!


Take a look at my site: vacation email cards

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this website by my cousin.
I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no
one else know such detailed about my problem.

You are amazing! Thanks!

Here is my page: Www.Sonico.com

Anonymous said...

Hello! I could have sworn I've been to your blog before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
Anyhow, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!


my page ... workouts to improve vertical leap

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most vital information
for me. And i am glad reading your article.
But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles
is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Here is my web page ... how To dunk a basketball

Anonymous said...

I do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your website. It seems like some of the written text within your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen before.

Thanks

Stop by my webpage: workouts to increase vertical jump

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really understand what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally visit my site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate contract between us

My page: http://e-learning.Stjohn.org.Au

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% positive.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Take a look at my weblog; trundle bed frame

 
ss_blog_claim=b3f6d4d2a9c12dbdfb4bcda8dba3cdd0 ss_blog_claim=b3f6d4d2a9c12dbdfb4bcda8dba3cdd0